Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lambda Moo

Lambda Moo was nothing short of hilarious.  It was also very interesting, different, and thought provoking.  It seems to me that your experience within the game is equal parts dependent on your ability to have an active imagination as well as meet other people who are also willing to be a part of this world with you.

Though getting the Moo going may have been difficult for many, I fancy myself fairly tech savvy, so I actually got it going in about 15 minutes.  Once in, I was ready to explore.  I walked around all over the place, using the map provided by the tutorial.  To be honest, before I played it, I mainly thought of the above photo.

After a while I was able to get Dane and Foss into the game as well, and then the  three of us just made it hilarious.  We were chasing each other all over the map, trying to find out which room the other ones went into.  We did some funny roleplaying, as well.  Once, when Foss met me by the hot tub, I asked him to get in and went into a speech, asking him if “he knew why I called him here?”  I then “reached for a briefcase” and proceeded to tell him he had a very secret, very dangerous mission, if he chose to accept it.  Think about:

+




These are the types of interactions you can have in the Moo.  Funny, clever (maybe mine is not as clever as I thought?..) and creative within a space of just simply text.  Amazing how we can still go back and enjoy our time, no matter how little, in a game like the Moo with all the over-stimulation our entertainment today provides.

The Moo has died down from its “hayday”, but it is still an interesting tool.  The requirement of the use of imagination is severely underrated, and honestly much of the upcoming generations will suffer for not having this type of interaction with others.  Whether that is a lack of imagination in real life interactions and/or ones via cyberspace, there is a definite drain on creativity these days.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a side note, here is an (what I think to be hilarious) interaction I had on Lambda Moo last night.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment