Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blackout Day

Slowpoke meme about Blackout Day

Blackout Day has been interesting to say the least.  For me personally, the experience has been a pleasant one.  Not to say I didn't miss having some of my favorite sites, mainly Reddit, Wikipedia and Imgur, but it was pleasant in that it made me feel a real part of change.

Wikipedia during the blackout
I have been helping to actively petition against SOPA for a few months now, signing petitions and sending messages to my representatives whenever possible, and it was nice to see other people, and especially large corporations, joining the cause.  Additionally, as a part of the Reddit community, it does give me a bit of a good feeling as being a part of "one of the biggest sources" of this recent push against SOPA.  Even people I would not have expected to be involved in politics or the goings on of the internet are finding their voice to protest.

My Facebook was full of SOPA protest posts, and it was surprising the number of people who were becoming informed because of this blackout.  It had been bothering me how few people were aware of something as important as SOPA, and now I can finally rest easy (or at least easier) knowing that at least the voices are getting out there.

When I watched the bill being debated over a live stream a few weeks ago, it was disheartening to see the number of supports, and how few of my friends and fellow Oles knew about what was happening.  My biggest fear was that it would pass so quickly that by the time the majority heard about it, it was because it was passed into law and directly affecting them.

Not anymore.  Our voice is out there.  We have demanded to be heard, and we have been backed by some of the largest corporations in the world in an effort to maintain some of the freedoms we hold most dear.  I no longer need to fear a quick passing, and it looks more and more likely that this bill is going to fail miserably.  Just today, several representatives changed their stances in opposition of SOPA.  If nothing else, this is a huge win for everyone that participated today.

However, the biggest success has to be the informing of the general public.  People who had no idea what SOPA was, besides possibly a Spanish dish, are now standing strong, and more importantly informed, along with the rest of us.  Democrats and Republicans alike are coming together to oppose this bill, and it is not too often you can say that.

Empty seat policies at work
Overall this has really helped restore some of my faith in the ability of millions of voices to be heard.  Along with the Occupy Wall Street movement, people are starting to take it upon themselves to actively participate in the law making process, rather than stand along the sidelines and complain.

Government officials should fear for their jobs.  They no longer are able to sit by and vote along party lines.  People are starting to expect them to actually represent their constituents.  No longer will "empty seat" policy makers be allowed to rule.  At least that is what I hope this all means.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reginald, one of the top
LoL players in the world
On a completely unrelated and non-academic note, IEM: Kiev starts in the morning.  Specifically at 4 am, at least for League of Legends it does.  These professional gaming circuit events are always exciting to watch, and I will be rooting for my favorite team, Team Solo Mid (TSM), to win as always, and of course my favorite player, Reginald.

Currently, I am very much considering staying up all night to watch it.  I think I can make it.  It would definitely be awesome.  Class tomorrow might drag on a bit, but I really don't want to miss any of the action.

Decision, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment